Now that Graduate Admissions has received your application for admission to the University of Georgia, we would like you to be familiar with the review process. Admission to the UGA Graduate School is a collaborative process with academic records and official test scores being reviewed first in the Graduate Admissions Office and then by the academic department and supplemental, departmental requirements reviewed only by faculty in the department.
1. An admissions counselor in Graduate Admissions will review your application for initial completeness and send you an email message that provides information on the status of your application. Depending upon the time of the year and how busy the admissions office, the initial review may take from 5 - 21 days from the date that you received our application confirmation message.
2. Your material in the Graduate School will be copied and sent to the academic department to which you applied. Please review your department's website for specific information on application requirements. (Important note: Letters of recommendation are generally not required for non-degree status. We will not email your recommenders to complete electronic letters. If your department requires letters for non-degree status, please contact the department directly to inquire about alternate means of submitting letters of recommendation to that department.)
3. The academic department has access to the online application information; so you may receive correspondence from them before Graduate Admissions has had an opportunity to set up and review your application. Do not worry if you hear from the department before you hear from Graduate Admissions!
4. Each department establishes its own timeline and procedures for making admissions recommendations. Once departments forward their recommendation to the Graduate Admissions Office, a final review is made. The admissions decision is made by the Graduate School and will be mailed to you in an official letter.
5. For those of you with international credentials, please check our new supplemental information for international applicants where we provide important tips and information about academic records needed from specific countries. This information should facilitate completion of your application.
6. Finally, your application is valid for only the semester for which you are applying. If you need to change the expected semester of enrollment, please contact Graduate Admissions before the original expected semester begins!
Again, we appreciate your interest in graduate education at UGA. If you have questions related to departmental requirements, please contact the academic department.